2018 Beverly Maasak Ahgeak Memorial Scholarship – Now Accepting Applications
The Cooperative provides scholarships of $1,000 to two graduating seniors of Barrow High School annually. The amount and number of scholarships may be changed by the board of directors.
Applicants are required to be a high school senior who resides in Barrow, Alaska and must be a dependent of an active cooperative member. Applicants must have a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or higher and complete questions related to utilities, goals, and community involvement.
The 2017 Beverly Maasak Ahgeak Memorial Scholarship recipients were Janessa Vinas and Michelle Kaleak.
The scholarships are funded through the tariff rates paid by members of the Cooperative.
Deadline: Submit your completed application by 5:00 PM on April 16th, 2018
(deadline extended due to BUECI half-day holiday on April 13th, 2018)
Eligibility: To be eligible for any scholarship, the applicant or applicant’s parent or guardian must be a member of the Cooperative. Applications will be reviewed by the BUECI administration and the BUECI Board of Directors. Scholarships will be awarded to applicants based on their response to the scholarship criteria. These are nonrenewable scholarships.
For additional information, contact Wendy Battle, Executive Assistant, at 907-852-6166 ext. 1 or Wendy.Battle@bueci.org.
2018 Hank Nikkels Scholarship for Engineers and APA-IBEW Local 1547 Scholarship
The application period is now open for two scholarships being offered through the Alaska Power Association.
- 2018 Hank Nikkels Scholarships for Engineers is designed for Alaska residents attending college in Alaska full-time or part-time working toward obtaining a doctoral, Master, or Bachelor of Science degree in engineering (electrical, mechanical, civil, or computer science). The scholarship offers up to $3,000. Click here for details and review the scholarship application.
- APA-IBEW Local 1547 Scholarship offers up to $2,000 for Alaska residents attending an accredited vocational school in Alaska and who intend to work in the electric industry in Alaska upon completion of their programs. Click here for details and review the scholarship application.
Applications for these two scholarships must be received by the Alaska Power Association no later than June 8th, 2018 by 5:00 PM. More information and updates can be found on the Alaska Power Association website at www.alaskapower.org.
2018 Youth Rally Leadership Camp
Barrow Utilities and Electric Cooperative, Inc (BUECI) is committed to enriching the educational experience of our local students and supporting future members and directors of the Cooperative.
BUECI is offering a great opportunity for two (2) 10th or 11th grade students to attend a week-long leadership camp at the College of Idaho in Caldwell, Idaho in July 2018. Also, one student will be selected as the Alaskan representative to the National Rural Electric Cooperative’s (NRECA) Nation Youth Tour in Washington, D.C. which will be held in June of 2019.
The Youth Rally provides a full week of learning and fun. Students will attend interesting educational sessions, listen to amazing motivational speakers, play summer games of challenges and participate in fun activities such as barbeques, dances, bowling, and the local water park. All activities and games are designed to strengthen communication and leadership abilities and increase knowledge of the utility industry.
Cost: The Cooperative covers scheduled travel, meals, and program expenses from Barrow, Alaska. Personal expenses, such as shopping, are not included.
Eligibility: Students must meet the following requirements to apply.
- Be a dependent of an active BUECI member in good standing (current on bills).
- Be enrolled as a sophomore or junior in high school, home-school, or an alternative school (Kiita) in Barrow, Alaska.
- Students who have previously attended, or been selected to attend the Youth Rally for BUECI are not eligible.
For more information, contact Wendy Battle, Executive Assistant, at 907-852-6166 ext. 1 or Wendy.Battle@bueci.org.
The 2018 application period is closed and winners will be announced in late March 2018. Please check back in January 2019 for the next application cycle. The 2018 camp will be held July 9th – 14th, 2018 at College of Idaho in Caldwell, Idaho.