Barrow Utilidor System (BUS) Water & Sewer Safety
Going on Vacation?
Safety tips to protect your home from a water freeze!
How often should someone check on your home? Make sure to arrange for a responsible person to check on your home while you are away.
- Twice a day during extreme cold temperatures, November – April
- Once a day during the warmer months, May – October
- Know where the water shut off valve is located inside the home and show this to the person who will be caring for your home.
- Run the water for at least three (3) to four (4) minutes per day to prevent the sewer service lateral from freezing up and causing wastewater to back-up into the home. Do not just flush the toilet – that is not enough water to keep a home from freezing!!
- Call BUECI for any questions or to report an emergency: 907-852-6166 during office hours or 907-852-3176 after hours.
- Make sure the electricity or gas is working and that the home is above freezinginside.
- Check the batteries on any electric furnace device.
- Make sure the plumbing vent on the roof is free from ice if you have any drains that are draining slowly.
- Make sure appliances that use water are turned off, including any clothes washer and dishwasher.
Can’t find someone to care for your home?
Contact BUECI at 907-852-6166 to shut the water off in the service barrel and empty the lines to your home (blow down) at no cost to members. Water service will be restored upon your return.
Beware of the “FOG” Fats, Oils, and Greases
Grease is one of the leading causes of blocked sewer lines and sewage overflows. Learn how to properly dispose of fats, oils, and greases in the trash instead of in the sink or toilet in this printable brochure.
- Scrape grease and food scraps into grease collection containers or directly into the trash for disposal.
- Always make sure you have allowed adequate time for the grease and oils to cool before placing directly in the trash.
- Do not use your garbage disposal to grind up greasy food waste. It should only be used for non-greasy items like fruits and vegetables.
More sewer safety tips:
- Never flush any kind of cleaning wipes, baby wipes, diapers, paper towels, feminine hygiene product in the toilet.
- Never dispose of fuels or automotive liquids in the sink or toilet!
What the Indicator lights on the control panel outside your home or business mean
Customers should check the control panel on the outside of their building to confirm that flow is circulating in the manner that the system is designed. There are three indicator lights mounted on the front of the control panel; green, yellow and red.